I’m proud to be a board member of Portland’s only classical radio station, Allclassical.org KQAC 89.9 FM. It’s fall membership drive time, and I’d regard it as a personal favor to me if you’d consider donating for the first time if you haven’t given previously, upping your gift renewal this year, or becoming a sustaining member of Allclassical.
Allclassical’s raison d’être is Building Cultural Community, and it is remarkable what a vital resource they are for both classical music lovers and the entire spectrum of classical music performers, from community orchestras to the Oregon Symphony.
- New Program Director and on-air host Suzanne Nance is bringing a new A game to an already world-class announcing staff.
- Thursdays @ Three, the live in-studio performance hour hosted by Robert McBride, is giving locally and nationally known performers a place to showcase their talents for listeners around the world, and giving studio audience members a chance to meet great artists up close and personal.
- On Deck, produced and hosted by Christa Wessel, is giving remarkable young musicians a showcase, providing musical inspiration to young and old alike.
- The Score, the nationally syndicated film music program hosted by Edmund Stone, profiles and interviews some of the top film composers of today, and gives insight into the great master film scorers of the bygone era.
- For the first time, Allclassical and the Oregon Symphony teamed up to provide a live broadcast of the orchestra’s annual Waterfront Concert, enabling the entire region to join the tens of thousands of audience members at Tom McCall Waterfront Park.
- These are only a few of the reasons Allclassical is such a valuable cultural resource for Portland and SW Washington.
I’d say these initiatives and more are worth supporting, don’t you agree? I hope you’ll join me in supporting this incredible organization as they seek funding for the remainder of the fiscal year.