I’m revisiting my previous post, in which I somewhat lazily dissected the season announcements of three orchestras (Chicago, Seattle, and Nashville) for 2012-2013, to a look at the soloists that they’ve engaged for the season (plus those slated for the LA Philharmonic as well, to add some more (?) into the mix). Will there be any trends, any surprises? Not likely, but you never know.
- Piano: Leif Ove Andsnes, Yefim Bronfman, David Fray, Radu Lupu, Maurizio Pollini, Peter Serkin, Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Mitsuko Uchida, Yuja Wang.
- Strings: Gautier Capuçon (vc), Renaud Capuçon (vln), Jennifer Koh (vln), Jaime Laredo (vln), Yo-yo Ma (vc), Gil Shaham (vln).
Los Angeles Philharmonic
- Piano: Leif Ove Andsnes, Emanuel Ax, David Fray, Lang Lang, Orli Shaham, Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Simon Trpcewski, Lars Vogt, Yuja Wang.
- Strings: Gautier Capuçon (vc), Renaud Capuçon (vln), Lynn Harrell (vc), Leila Josefowicz (vln), Leonidas Kavakos (vln), Midori (vln), Gil Shaham (vln).
- Other: Alison Balsom (tpt).
- Piano: Emanuel Ax, Yefim Bronfman, Vladimir Feltsman, Louis Lortie, András Schiff, Jean-Yves Thibaudet.
- Strings: Joshua Bell (vln), Gautier Capuçon (vc), Vadim Gluzman (vln), Hilary Hahn (vln), Alina Ibragimora (vln), Sergey Khachatryan (vln), Anne-Sophie Mutter (vln), Itzhak Perlman (vln), Maxim Rysanov (vla), Julian Schwarz (vc), Gil Shaham (vln), Arabella Steinbacher (vln).
- Piano: Ingrid Fliter, Olga Kern, Louis Lortie, Jean-Yves Thibaudet.
- Strings: Joshua Bell (vln), Stefan Jackiw (vln), Jennifer Koh (vln), Edgar Meyer (cb), Anne Akiko Meyers (vln), Johannes Moser (vc), Elina Vähälä (vln).
My initial thoughts: David Fray, a French pianist, seems to have made his break into the US market, having been picked up by at least two of the ‘Big Five’. He’s one to watch, it would seem. Jean-Yves Thibaudet seems to have incredible touring stamina. Joshua Bell is the reigning violinist of the circuit, I’d wager. The Capuçon brothers are doing a big US tour this year, either appearing together with the same orchestra or appearing separately in the same season – BOGO?